Sunday, August 16, 2009

Giving in a Time of Lack


















These are difficult times for many people. Millions have lost their homes, or are in danger of doing so. Millions have lost their jobs. Many businesses have gone under. Uncertainty and fear about the future have become pervasive. Everywhere in human affairs, we see apparent lack.

The Universe will have none of this. Everywhere in the Universe is abundance. Everywhere there is Love. Everywhere there is Unity.

Our illusions and our fears are what create the lack in the first place. There is lack largely because people agree there is lack. This is true all the time, not just during a recession. People are starving, people are living in the streets, and wars are being fought, because of the widespread perception of lack. If we could agree on abundance instead, we would make this world a paradise.

Let’s start with ourselves. Realize that you have everything you need. Realize that the Universe, which is totally aware of you, which loves you, and which you are part of, will provide you with everything you seek. Then decide to give and give regularly.

Giving will send a powerful Message of Love to yourself and to the Universe. You will be saying, in a sense, “I believe in and expect abundance. I have so much that I am free to give to others.” Give to other people, people you know, people you don’t know. Give to causes that help others, and the planet. Also give because you want to, and not with the expectation of return. When you give with an open heart like this, the Universe will respond in kind.

2,500 years ago, the ancient Hebrews were already well aware of the power of this principle. The Lord they spoke of was simply the way they understood Love, the Universe, the creative force that is and makes all things. The word “tithe” meant “tenth.” In other words, they were encouraged to give ten percent of their harvest back to the source from which it came.

From the Book of Malachi, 3:10:

“Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”

If you want to access abundance, live abundance. You don’t have to give ten percent of what you make, but do give something. And remember that not all gifts are material gifts, and not all material gifts cost money. Time, attention, understanding, a flower from your garden, a meal cooked with love, these are all powerful gifts.

Now is the perfect time to start giving.

21 comments:

Brian said...

I hear you man.

I always have what I need...and I always have something to give.

If there is anyone local reading this we are having a little cook out/ party in Harrison this weekend. Feel free to email me for details.

Ronda Laveen said...

No truer words were ever written. People tend to hold to tight just when they need to let go. Blessed be.

Kathy Trejo said...

wonderful message! Thank you :)

Sue said...

OOH!

I love to give! Pick me to give! Brian I will be there this weekend for sure! What should I bring? Email me please!

Anonymous said...

I believe in giving time. Anyone can give money but the rare fee give time.

savannah said...

thank you for the gentle reminder. xoxo

Liam said...

I feel guilty now. I have done nothing but gain from this recession.

Renee said...

Michelle what a great post. I am so happy that you are blogging.

Renee xoxo

Kathy B! said...

This is a wonderful post. I give financially but I give much more of my time. Obviously I give endless time to my family.

But the biggest change I've seen is with volunteering. Oddly, my life became much richer when I started to give my time to others who really needed it.

Beautifully written.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Great post and so true.

Mark said...

Excellent post! Yes, we live in abundance, lack is an illusion. We never lack, we only lack what our ego perceives as lack. Now is the time to give and there are many opportunities and many ways to give, one simply must want to give! Giving is the greatest of blessings that you can give others and yourself.

Jocelyn said...

I often think people need to re-imagine what "giving" means--it can be time, attention, a hug around the shoulder. It's not money or stuff, ja?

The Girl With The Mousy Hair said...

It is good to give I agree. I find it hard to see love all around me! If it's there it's very carefully hidden.

Michelle said...

Oh I give and I give and I give! And what does it get me?

Just love and friendship with you all...

Dulçe ♥ said...

Hey,thanks for your visit to my blog!
About giving... well, yes I might say Life is a window or a mirror;i.e either you give nothing and thus get nothing, or you give and give and that comes back to you.
It's the miracle of life.
:)

Margie said...

Wonderful post!
When one gives you always get more back!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog & your kind words are most appreciated!

Margie:)

Anonymous said...

Great post! If we can step back and look at the bigger picture, at the poverty and strife of the world, then the over abundance and excesses of the rest, one can say that we have a problem of love not resources.

Gypsy Butterfly said...

Hello Michelle,
Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my blog!
I love your blog and this post is so meaningful and so true.
Many times we get so caught up in what's going on in our lives, that we end up forgetting about what's important. Thank you for the reminder.
If you don't mind, I would love to put your link on my blogroll.
Wishing you a very nice day,
Lydia

Queenie Jeannie said...

I agree 100%!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen. And if not now, when? This is a time of great need for so many, any thing we can give can help.

4 Lettre Words said...

This is what we believe in our home!

Great post.